Announcing the New Voice Code of Ethics

A professor once told me that in my analysis, I was being “too mean” to the author being studied in class. Since then, I’ve carried the comment as a point of pride. It’s not cruel to be critical; it’s natural, and if we don’t question the information we’re given, we do a disservice to ourselves and the world around us.

This issue questions, and it questions a lot. That tends to be fine, as everyone expects a student newspaper to be critical, but I’ve found that around here, it tends to be considered a lot more fine to question individuals and institutions on Capitol Hill than ones in Fanning. So when we need to defend ourselves, it helps to have a written document stating what we believe and represent, so that if our motives are questioned, we can point to it and say “look, this fits.”

For this reason, it’s timely that it’s this in edition of the Voice that I’m unveiling a new, official document we should’ve had for a long time now: our code of ethics. I didn’t intend for this release to coincide with a whole bunch of censorship and hypocrisy talk, but I’m far from dissatisfied with it. I wish I could say I’d done this on purpose.

Read below to understand that while we’re busy raising eyebrows and pursing lips, we’re still adhering to a set of morals. This code of ethics won’t be reprinted in every future edition of the Voice, but it will be accessible 24/7 at thecollegevoice.org. I hope our readers see this and get that we’re being critical, not mean.

-Maia

The College Voice Code of Ethics

Standards and Integrity

The College Voice intends to produce writing and reporting of the highest standards possible. Editors of the Voice read for accuracy of content, logical clarity of argument and grammatical precision following AP Style. The editorial board takes responsibility for the quality of writing that appears in the Voice.

Truth and Accuracy

The College Voice will only report facts that its writers and staff believe to be true. The Voice assumes responsibility for the accuracy of all information reported and will correct any printed claim that is found to be untrue. The Voice will never publish information that is known to be false or misleading.

Inclusivity

The College Voice is produced for and by all members of the Connecticut College community. Though the Voice reserves its right to decline publication of a piece due to a lack of truthfulness, quality or relevance to the community, any member of the Connecticut College student body, faculty or staff is invited to participate in the Voice. The Voice will not discriminate based on racial, ethnic, national, sexual, gender, religious or other identity, nor will it refuse publication based on a difference in political or ideological perspective. The Voice will not publish work that represents discriminatory and/or hate speech.

Restrictions on publication by section:

The News section may decline publication of a piece due to its being clearly biased or opinionated.

The Perspectives section will publish pieces representing any opinion, but it may decline publication if opinions presented are deemed hurtful, derogatory, or representative of hate speech.

The Arts section will publish both opinionated and non-opinionated pieces, but it may decline publication due to harm/hate speech or lack of relevance to the arts.

Accountability

The College Voice claims responsibility for all material it publishes. Section editors are responsible for the quality and accuracy of the material in their respective sections; the editor-in-chief is responsible for the quality and accuracy of all material throughout the paper. Individual views expressed by writers belong only to the writers and do not represent the views of the Voice. The Voice does not intend to instigate action or “fallout” from its articles and does not claim responsibility for action taken in response to information published in the Voice, given that the information follows the Voice’s ethical standards.

The College Voice holds itself accountable to its sources by surveying quoted or referenced individuals regarding the accuracy of their representation. The Voice will never intentionally misquote, misname, or otherwise misrepresent a source. The Voice will never intentionally bring harm to a source or endanger any individual. The Voice will protect the identities of all anonymous sources.

Be the first to comment