Written by 10:35 pm Occupy CC 2023 • 10 Comments

President Portrays Protests to Parents

Photo courtesy of Hannah Foley ’23

On Mar. 2, 2023 at 9:24 a.m., President Bergeron contacted parents over 72 hours after the lock-in protest began at Fanning. She did not beat around the bush; she opened her email to parents acknowledging once again that Dean King’s resignation has upset people on campus. President Bergeron then referred to the current Fanning lock-in as a sit-in, again, downplaying the language to avoid concerning parents. She reassured the parents that the College respects the students’ First Amendment rights to peaceful protest and the safety of those locked in – once again, trying to mitigate worries. 

It is important to point out that both pieces of President Bergeron’s communications with parents were only written in English. She did not provide a copy translated into Spanish – the second most prominently spoken language in the United States –  nor easy access to view her communication translated into other languages. This leaves her parental communication inaccessible to anyone whose parents do not speak English as a first language. Her communication in and of itself is not inclusive or accessible to all, highlighting why Student Voices for Equity (SVE) is fighting for these demands in the first place. 

Two weeks prior, on Feb. 16, President Bergeron opened her message to the parents explaining that the College had been engaging in “a series of complex and difficult conversations” since Dean King’s resignation. She outlined that his resignation was in protest of scheduling a fundraising event at the Everglades Club because of its discriminatory history and how she canceled the event on Feb. 8. She then acknowledged his resignation and opened a can of worms to discuss equity and inclusion concerns on campus.

Next in the same email, President Bergeron appealed to the sense of community evident on campus since the first meeting at Hillel on the night of Dean King’s resignation. She wrote that students, staff, and faculty are banding together on DIEI causes, thus sharing the same commitment she herself has to Conn. With many parents aware of their student’s involvement in DIEI-related groups and offices, her attempt to catalyze student involvement seemingly aimed to gain parental support for her current actions. She, then, extended herself to parents focused on providing resources to students by ensuring parents knew what offices their students could reach out to if necessary. By providing transparency and a list of 15 people to contact, she reassured parents that the campus adequately supports students…something the recent Student Voices of Equity (SVE) demands would beg to differ on. 

President Bergeron did not state the college’s actions in response to SVE’s demands. She avoided having to discuss the list of demands entirely, effectively hiding the root of the issues she was supposedly meant to be addressing.

She emphasized that the College has resources available for those protesting and not protesting. She encouraged students to reach out to deans, the remaining DIEI staff, professors, and academic advisors for support. Most professors have been understanding, supporting protests by scheduling classes on Zoom with recordings so students can attend or tune in when they are able. To touch on the context that Bergeron omitted, professors have also canceled classes for the week and extended deadlines, given the current circumstances. Some have been less understanding, continuing to hold class in person with little leeway for protestors. Bergeron did not mention the class cancellations nor alternative work schedules, only briefly alluding to class boycotts two paragraphs prior. She, instead, explained that the College has “taken steps to minimize disruptions to classes, advising, and co-curricular activities so that all students are supported”. 

Bergeron’s former comment may be a ploy to appease parents and ward off any potential uproar that their student isn’t getting the education they are paying for. However, it blatantly ignores the volume of faculty standing with students and canceling class to protest SVE’s demands. It is as if she wishes to paint a picture to parents that the College is business as usual right now when, in reality, it is far from that. 

The concluding sentiments in her past two emails are remarkably similar:

2/16 – “One of the hallmarks of a liberal arts education is the ability to grapple with complexity in the pursuit of knowledge, truth and justice. We will continue to provide space for exactly this type of dialogue

3/2 – “Working through critical issues, engaging in difficult dialogue with each other, and developing shared solutions is how we build the community we want to be. Please know that we will continue to create opportunities for exactly this kind of work.” 

Has President Bergerron run out of things to say? It seems she is just rewriting permutations of her past emails to both the College community and parents. How much of a dialogue can the President engage with students if SVE, at a letter-writing event on Wednesday night, made it clear that she has not spoken to the group? There can be no shared solution without proper communication. Yet it seems that in President Bergeron’s eyes–or at least in the eyes that she desires the parents to see her in–her communication is perfectly adequate. 

The movement has been picked up by the media across the state of Connecticut and has gone national. Broadway World wrote about  Into the Woods postponing their show until demands are met and  The Daily Beast covered the Fanning lock-in. At this point, it is not as if parents cannot find more information about what is actually happening on campus. It is clear the parent community is also reading The College Voice based on the numerous comments they have left under articles covering the movement. These articles give them a much fuller picture of the events happening than the president’s emails. She is not hiding the ball, she is simply hiding. 

So, how adequate is Bergeron’s communication? Only time will tell.

[mc4wp_form id="5878"]
Close