Written by 8:00 am Arts • 3 Comments

POCA’s 2nd Annual Fashion Show “The Blueprint”

Photo courtesy of Haley Lowenthal ’25

A physical representation of the influence the BIPOC community has in all living aspects of our current society. Through all cultural elements of music, art, politics, literature, food, and so forth, our communities have set a standard for what is and what isn’t. Through this year’s show, our goal is to bring this understanding to the forefront of our college community’s minds.” – People of Color Alliance 

Despite a turbulent semester characterized by protests and calls for institutional change, the People of Color Alliance (POCA) were determined to show up and show out with their 2nd Annual Fashion Show titled “The Blueprint” since the group’s founding in August 2020.

The Crozier-Williams 1962 Room was unrecognizable on Saturday, Apr. 8, as students, dressed to the nines in the prescribed “fashionably formal” dress code, were checked in and shown their seats. Spotlights reigned high overhead, illuminating the runway, contrasted by black curtains running the length of the walls. Light refreshments were laid out while guests perused the art on display. The atmosphere was one of building excitement and exhilaration while attendees milled around and waited for the show to begin when the clock hit 7:30.

Models burst onto the runway in pairs to uproarus cheers of support and awe, flaunting everything from string pearls and black monochrome to camoflague and denim to mesh and overalls. Mixing art forms was the name of the game that night, which the clothes absolutely reflected. Some designers opted for streetwear-style freshness, others blended preppy with chic using piecy blazers and stilettos, and even flannel had its moment on stage. 

Gold, however, played an integral part as an accessory and stylistic symbol in the first half of the show. Audience members oohed and ahhed as models flashed long gold nails and showed off ornate golden pieces. POCA founder and President Lyndon Inglis ‘24 was to thank for designing the intricate tree back piece in particular which was displayed first and caught my eye immediately.

Inglis, along with the co-director of the show, Niamani David ‘25, have had an unprecedented few months after taking on roles in student leadership for Student Voices of Equity (SVE), the organization established in response to a campus-wide call for President Bergeron’s resignation amid accusations of racism and anti-semitism in early February. 

“The show had to be put on the back burner in favor of addressing institutional issues. The system had to be confronted and we had to push for change,” said Inglis on Saturday night. “Tonight is about giving recognition to all different cultures and celebrating individuality.”

“He’s a powerhouse,” Leron Dugan ‘24 told me serenely as we saw Inglis speak into an earpiece several feet away. 

Dugan, a junior with a self-designed major in Cultural and Media Studies and Creative Director of Akwaaba Magazine, continued to speak meaningfully about his experience as a designer for the show and its significance.

“It feels deeply empowering and encouraging as a person of color on this campus to have my work on display, and as an individual creative having people engage with my work is special. It curates a space that feels like coming back home to myself, a feeling that I haven’t had in a long time.”

The night moved swiftly and energetically through a whirlwind of performances, including musical acts with Claudia Marmelo ‘23 and Osa Erhunmwunse ‘26, dance by Shawnia Yon ‘24, and poetry by Alex Reyes ‘23 and Quincey Robinson ‘23. 

The second half of the night saw models walking the runway and expressing their cultural heritage in clothing form. “Having these cultures represented is what we’ve been fighting for.” said David poignantly during closing remarks. 

Xenia Bernal ‘25 expressed gratitude for POCA and the community at large; “This show took blood, sweat, and tears to put on. It means so much to have all of you here.” The committee began planning the show in August 2022 and aims to become a part of Conn’s annual traditions. 

“I’m wowed,” said Emi O’Brien ‘24, a student and attendee. “I can’t get the smile off my face!” This opinion seemed widely shared as the infectious, supportive energy continued heartily through the post-show reception.

There is still much work to be done at Conn to systemically protect our students of color. But Saturday night was an important milestone in creating a space of artistic amplification and individuality after a time of adversity. Most significantly, it was a platform for artists of color to celebrate the emergence of a new era of equity and inclusion following the resignation of Katherine Bergeron.

[mc4wp_form id="5878"]
Close